It's important for you to have a good understanding of the things that you should do during the different seasons in order to keep your plumbing running smoothly. Here are the seasonal changes you should make and the tips you should follow to ensure you keep your plumbing system healthy:
Take Care of Your Plumbing During the Colder Months
If you live in an area where the temperature can dip below freezing, then you'll want to take the appropriate steps to protect the pipes from freezing. If they do freeze, then once the ice inside them starts to melt, the pipes can burst. When they burst, it can lead to serious plumbing issues that need to be taken care of right away. It can also lead to flooding in the house that ruins your belongings and causes damage to walls and flooring.
Some things you want to do to protect pipes from freezing include:
- Put insulation tape on pipes that are exposed to the elements
- Leave a steady drip coming from pipes leading to the outside during freezing temperatures
- Leave cabinet doors open under sinks with pipes that lead directly outside
- Avoid letting the temperature in your house get below freezing, even when you aren't home
- Drain your hoses, unhook them, and turn off the sprinkler system
Take Care of Your Plumbing When the Warmer Weather Comes
When the weather warms up, you want to make sure you take steps once again to protect your plumbing system and your water bill as well. Here are some of the things you should do during warm months with regards to your plumbing:
- Call a plumber from a commercial plumbing company right away if you see mysterious wet areas in your yard; you may have a leak
- Put a screen in the drain before washing pets to capture the hair and avoid clogs
- Turn your sprinklers back on and make sure the timer is set correctly so you don't waste water
- Turn the temperature on your water heater down to save on your energy bill
Following the seasonal plumbing tips provided to you in this article will help you to prevent plumbing issues and save yourself money. Always pay attention to new tips or tricks related to plumbing so you can educate yourself about how to take care of your plumbing system. Good plumbing practices can also help you avoid issues that lead to serious problems.